Retainers play a critical role in maintaining that beautiful, healthy smile that you receive after undergoing orthodontic treatment with Drs. Panucci and Jackfert! Many people don't realize that teeth can and will move back to their original position if retainers aren't worn as instructed. Be smart and protect your gorgeous grin!
Wear your retainers as the Doctors instruct after appliances are removed. Night time wear is required after teeth have stabilized for the duration of the life of your teeth!
Take your retainers out when eating, and always put retainers in their case! (Most appliances are lost in school lunch rooms or restaurants.)
- Clean retainers thoroughly once a day with a clean toothbrush(no toothpaste) and hand soap. Use warm but not hot water. Brushing retainers removes the plaque, and eliminates odors. RetainerBrite or other orthodontic appliance cleaners can be used but do not take the place of brushing.
When retainers are not in your mouth they should ALWAYS be in a retainer case. Pets love to chew on them!
- Initially, you may find it difficult to speak. Practice speaking, reading, or singing out loud to get used to them faster.
- Retainers are breakable, so treat them with care. If retainers are lost or broken call us immediately.
- If you have any questions or concerns about your retainers, or if your retainers need adjusting, call us. Do not try to adjust them yourself.
- Always bring your retainers to your appointments.
- Retainer replacements are expensive, but with proper care they will last for years!
- Remove retainers when swimming.
- Keep retainers away from hot water, hot car dashboards, pockets, the washing machine, and napkins.