Orthodontics for Children
The American Association of Orthodontists (AAO) recommends that all children have a check-up with an orthodontic specialist no later than age 7.
By this age, most children have a mix of baby teeth and adult teeth, making it easier for the orthodontist to diagnose and correct tooth and jaw problems sooner. This early orthodontic prevention often eliminates the need for future permanent extractions and/or surgery.
Benefits of Early Treatment allows your orthodontist to:
- Raise a young person's self esteem
- Prevent impacted teeth by creating adequate space
- Total time is braces is significantly reduced
- Treatment is typically completed during middle school
- Pre-teens are most cooperative and enthusiastic about wearing braces
- Reduces the cause of fracture for children- protruding teeth
- Eliminates unnecessary permanent extractions and/or surgery (along with discomfort and cost)
- Intercepting early problems makes the entire treatment process more comfortable
For parents, it's not always easy to know if your child may need orthodontic treatment.
Indications for an orthodontic evaluation:
- Early or late loss of baby teeth
- A hard time chewing or biting food
- Mouth breathing
- Finger or thumb sucking
- Crowded, misplaced, or blocked teeth
- Jaws that pop or make sounds when opening and closing
- Teeth that come together abnormally, or do not come together at all
- Jaws and teeth that are not proportionate to the rest of the face
Please contact our practice to schedule an appointment for an orthodontic evaluation. Early treatment now will give your child a healthy, beautiful smile for the future.